Thursday, August 3, 2017

Puro Instinct - Headbangers in Ecstasy (2011)


Dreamy, stoned indie rock. Anyone who stays up on hipster nonsense knows that about five records that sound like this come out every Friday, but Puro Instinct rises above the pack due to the fact that, as opposed to letting the production make the album, they actually write dynamic, entertaining songs.

Track listing:
1. KDOD 1
2. Everybody's Sick
3. Lost at Sea
4. KDOD 2
5. Silky Eyes
6. Slivers of You
7. KDOD 3
8. Stilyagi
9. Escape Forever
10. KDOD 4
11. No Mames
12. Vapor Girls
13. California Shakedown
14. KDOD 5
15. Luv Goon

All the strangers passing by

Also listen to:
Peaking Lights -
936 (2011)
Wildhoney - Wildhoney (2013)
Seventeen Forever (2014)

4 comments:

  1. I was in love with this album for like three months after I got it! I never see it mentioned anywhere; probably due to the glut of similar stuff you mention in the second line. The group seems to have evaporated as well (last time I checked, anyway), unfortunately.

    But yeah—for whatever reason it really caught me at the time. Nice one.

    (See also: Sleep∞Over, whose first/only full-length was and remains pretty damn wonderful.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Sleep∞Over record, not sure why I've never posted that here. And I know that Puro Instinct put out a second LP last year, it's glossier but worth checking out if you haven't.

      Delete
  2. I used to work with these gals! (at their new label, new album is on Manifesto since I guess the Mexican Summer contract ended or something)

    Piper is the hugest diva and incredibly hard to work with but Sky, her younger sister/the guitarist, is probably one of the chillest, dreamy and friendly people I've ever met in my life. A true chiller. The new album is a bit too glam and glitter for me but at least their live set isn't as fucking trashy as it used to be lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. They also used to be called Pearl Harbor and have a few other releases on Mexican Summer if you ever want more of their old sound.

    ReplyDelete